Ransomware has been in the news a lot lately because of the recent 'WannaCry" outbreak. You may not know what Ransomeware is, so let me explain it for you now.
Ransomware is when a cyber-criminal blocks access to your data by encrypting your files, making them unusable, and demands a ransom to return access; and it's been growing as a serious threat to consumers with 1 in 5 people in Australia being victimised by ransomware according to Trend Micro. This doesn't mean you should rush off and disconnect your computer from the internet though. There are steps and options that you can take to protect yourself.
1. Unashamed Plug - Move your financial and production data to Phoenix Live.
2. Make sure you are using the latest version of your anti-virus software.
3. If your anti-virus software offers ransomware protection: Turn it on.
4. Make sure your Windows PC has been updated with the latest security updates.
AGDATA recommends turning on Microsoft Automatic Update.
If you have ever spoken to Mark on our support line you may have heard him say he recommends the 3, 2, 1 back-up rule. If you do get into trouble with your computer this rule will save your bacon.
- Have 3 copies of the data
- On 2 different types of media
- With 1 in a different building.